Random Sights and Diversions

Photography Media Reviews Commentary

By

Teahouse – One Four Challenge February Week One

Teahouse I. One Four Challenge February 2015 Week One. Copyright Joanne Mason 2015.

This is week one of the February 2015 One Four Challenge. In the One Four Challenge, we use one selected image and produce four distinct edits on successive week. (The One Four Challenge was initiated by Robyn G. See here for more information.) Click image for larger. Comments welcomed!

Teahouse

Teahouse, 2012. Copyright Joanne Mason 2012.

I’ve shot this teahouse many times; I love its photogenic properties. Various images have been posted over the last several years. (See here for instance.) I’ve realized that many good photographers regularly revisit earlier photographs and subjects, reinterpreting or reprocessing with new methods and more mature skills. I’ve allowed myself to do that without feeling like it’s “cheating.” The One Four Challenge presents a great opportunity for this kind of exercise.

The teahouse is a part of the Japanese-themed area of the Descanso Gardens in La Canada Flintridge, Los Angeles, California. This week’s image was processed from the original raw in DxO Optics Pro. Further processing was done in Lightroom and Color Efex Pro. I’ve worked towards soft colors and textures to emphasize the environs around the tearoom. Here is the photo data and the original image.

Teahouse Original

Fuji X100. 23 mm. ISO 400. 1/50 sec at f/5.6. Teahouse. One Four Challenge original for February 2015. Copyright Joanne Mason 2015.

Advertisements

20 Responses to Teahouse – One Four Challenge February Week One

1. Iliganonko says:

lovely

2. svtakeiteasy says:

Hi Joanne. You have brought out some lovely tones in this image. The blue roof really stands out, as do the smaller details, like the camellia blooms and burgundy foliage on the right, which were hardly noticeable in the original. I also like the crop is a good move, removing the ‘blocky’ stones. Will be interested to see where you take your interpretations next.

• Joanne says:

Thanks for your comment. I was kind of concentrating on bringing out the color in the foliage and keeping it soft, so I guess that worked. I’m glad you like it!

3. lensaddiction says:

Joanne what a lovely spot and lucky you to be able to revisit it. Love your composition of this image, so nicely framed with the trees. You did a great job with the process, bringing vibrancy and colour back into it.

Im going to disagree with Chris tho, I liked the original crop with the rocks much more, the rocks help ground the image and give it some depth and scale. It feels a bit truncated to me with that chopped off.

Lots of possibilities in it 🙂

• Joanne says:

Thanks. I’m glad you like it. I was interested in making a more horizontal framing which led to the cropping. I’ll play round with the cropping and the rocks more in the next version. Thanks for the feedback.

4. suej says:

Love the new vibrancy from your processing, but I agree with lensaddiction re the crop! It needs those rocks…

5. Great colors and the way you cropped it made it more intimate. Can’t wait to see where you go from here.

6. I want to stroll into your picture and loll about for the rest of the day now! NICE!

7. sariscorner says:

Nice image and I love the colors in the processed version!

8. Robyn G says:

Morning Joanne 😃 This is such a lovely image to work with – think its a great idea to revist. The tones in your previous BW are stunning.
    Ive really enjoyed your approach to your 1st image for this month. The textures and detail in the foliage are so great and it keeps directing me into the teahouse. I find this a very relaxing inviting image. Beautiful 😀

9. A fantastic subject for a photograph. I can see why you have photographed it so many times.

10. very inviting!!! Lovely what you have done with the colour!